1. 30 mL (2 tbsp.) golden raisins, rehydrated in some hot water
2. 250 mL (1 cup) fresh mint leaves
3. 125 mL (½ cup) olive oil
4. 1 lemon, zest and juice
5. To taste, salt and freshly ground pepper
1. 2 cloves of garlic, chopped
2. 60 mL (1/4 cup) finely chopped fresh rosemary or thyme
3. 15 mL (1 tbsp.) lemon zest (about 1 lemon)
4. 2 mL (1/2 tsp.) freshly ground pepper
5. A pinch cayenne pepper flakes
6. 30 mL (2 tbsp.) olive oil
LEG OF LAMB
1. 1 leg of lamb, about 1.35 kg (3 lb.)
2. 3 cloves of garlic, peeled and quartered
3. 7 mL (1/2 tbsp.) salt
1. In a food processor, purée raisins and mint leaves with olive oil, lemon zest, and lemon juice. Season with salt and pepper and set aside.
2. Combine chopped garlic, rosemary or thyme, lemon zest, pepper, cayenne, and olive oil to make a rub. Set aside.
3. Cut 12 slits into the leg of lamb using a small knife and insert quartered garlic in each slit. Seasonleg with salt and rub the entire surface with reserved herb rub.
4. Let marinate in fridge for 1 to 4 hours uncovered. Preheat oven to 220°C (425°F).
5. Place lamb in a shallow baking dish and bake on middle rack for 50 minutes, or until a meat thermometer inserted in thickest part reads 63°C (145°F) for rare doneness, or 70°C (160°F) for medium doneness. Adjust cooking time as required.
6. Remove leg from oven and let stand for 10 minutes before carving. Serve with reserved mint pesto.
Serve leg of lamb with mashed potatoes and green veggies.