Preparation time 20 minutes
Total time: 3 hours 20 minutes
45 mL (3 tbsp.) five-spice powder
4 cloves of garlic, pressed
150 mL (2/3 cup) olive oil
30 mL (2 tbsp.) lime juice (about 2 limes)
To taste, salt and pepper
12 chicken drumsticks (about 1.5 kg or 3 lb.)
2 medium onions, cut into strips
2 sweet yellow peppers, largely diced
1 can (796 mL) diced tomatoes, drained
1. Combine the five-spice powder, garlic, olive oil, and lime juice.
2. Season with salt and pepper. Emulsify using a whisk or a fork. Set aside 60 mL (. cup) of the marinade.
3. Add chicken drumsticks to the marinade and place in the fridge to marinate for at least 2 hours, stirring occasionally.
4. Preheat oven to 200°C (400°F).
5. Mix together the reserved marinade and vegetables in a large bowl and then place onto a parchment-lined baking sheet.
6. Place chicken drumsticks on a second parchmentlined baking sheet.
7. Place the two baking sheets in the oven for an hour, turning the drumsticks over and stirring the vegetables every 20 minutes.
8. Remove vegetables after 50 minutes and pur.e them in a blender until you have a smooth dipping sauce to serve alongside the drumsticks.
9. Serve at cocktail hour or as part of a Halloween buffet… and don’t forget the serviettes!
For a quicker version, opt for chicken wings and reduce cooking time by 40 minutes.